Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Grandparents' announcement

We had fun readying our official baby announcement, but before we shared that one, we prepared a different announcement, one that was equally as fun to get ready and to share.

I had the idea for this grandparents' announcement a long time before we were even considering getting pregnant. I can't remember when I thought it up, but it was probably at least a year or more ago... :)

Trying to explain the idea to Jonathan was a little bit difficult and I tried to find a similar example online, but to no avail. It seems that either no one has thought of this idea before, or that if they did, they didn't post any photos of it on the Internet (and yes, I looked on Pinterest, too). Eventually, I explained it well enough to get Jonathan's okay, and started designing the card.

The week before my brother and sister-in-law, Tyler and Amanda, left to visit my parents over Christmas, we used the half-designed card as the way to tell them about the baby. "I need help designing this card for Christmas and I want both of your opinions on it," I claimed. It took them a few times reading the card through before they caught on, but then it was fun to talk to them about the pregnancy, the idea for the card, and how I could change things around to make it look better. Amanda is a great designer and gave me some help picking better fonts. As soon as I changed the fonts, the card looked so much better, and I started liking it more and more. Amanda also helped me find a baby-themed graphic font to use as pops of colour, and I loved how that version looked, but in the end, Jonathan and I decided to use a Christmas-themed graphic font instead so the riddle wasn't solved too quickly. Looking back, that might not have been the best idea...

Before Tyler and Amanda left for BC, we used the more-finished-but-not-totally-complete card to share with my sister and her husband, Bryn and Josh. The four of us in Maine Skyped with them and then I asked them to look at a card I was going to give Mum and Dad for Christmas. It took them a little bit to understand, but they soon did and we had fun sharing the news with them, too, before they left to spend Christmas with Josh's family in Ohio.

Jonathan and I spent Christmas vacation with his family, and on Christmas morning, after all the other presents were opened, we sat Jonathan's parents down on the same couch and gave them an envelope to open. It took them a little while of guessing before Jonathan's mom asked, "Are you pregnant?!" and then a cacophony broke out! Although I don't usually enjoy being the center of attention, this time it was fun, and we loved finally telling Jonathan's family and answering their questions.

An hour or two later, Tyler texted us that now was a good time to Skype my parents. We had a few technical difficulties, but finally connected with them. After some minutes of chatting about how their Christmas was going so far, my Dad opened his name gift from me, and then we told them we also had a card to give them, and Tyler handed them the envelope. They opened it and pondered the card for few seconds before my Mum said, "Ohhhh!" and then popped her hand over her mouth so as not to ruin the surprise for my Dad. He couldn't figure the card out, though, and said, "I don't understand." After letting him wonder for a little longer, my Mum finally leaned over and whispered a hint into his ear. His first response after understanding the card was, "Well, it better be July 20!" (which is his birthday). Then we happily answered their questions and talked some more before ending the call to go eat Christmas dinner with Jonathan's family.

We thoroughly loved sharing our news in this way, and I am still so in love with how the card turned out! Many thanks to Amanda and Tyler for their help and design ideas!! It definitely wouldn't have turned out as cute without their assistance.

Help Needed card
Ali's parents' choices

My parents are already grandparents and have well-established grandparent names that my nephew and niece use, so it was easy for them to fill in their card. We'll add a photo of Jonathan's parents' choices when they make them. Can't wait to find out what they decide!

2 comments:

  1. Having a hard time choosing................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, it must be almost as hard as choosing out baby names, eh?! Don't stress too much about it right now. You have plenty of time! :)

      Delete