A bit of background for those that don't know: the majority of our house had hardwood originally, and I refinished it all before we moved in. This room, however, was originally the garage, and so didn't have any hardwood, because carpet was installed when it was converted. Since we were restoring the wood floors in the rest of the house, it made sense to install hardwood in this room as well.
We waited a long time to start, because once it started raining in the fall, we discovered that the roof had leaks in that room. I went up on the roof on several different occasions squirting roof goop in various places hoping to stop the leak - there wasn't anything hugely obvious, instead, there were many small things that could have been contributing. Once we felt that the leaks were taken care of, we finally started working on the room.
|A before picture from May 2016 when we bought the house. There was laminate in the dining room and kitchen, and terrible|
carpet in the rest of the house. This was before we knew about the hardwood underneath everything (except for this room).
|Lauren showing her Bow Bow what Dada is doing.|
|Viewing the room through a cardboard tube. At this point the cardboard boxes have ceased to act as an effective barrier for Lauren.|
|Before we started laying the floor, we had to blow cellulose insulation into this exterior wall, as there was none.|
It made sense to do this before we had a nice new floor to potentially mess up.
|Watching Dad and Josh (a friend from church) blow in the insulation - very dusty work.|
|Adding blocks to screw the hole plugs to in order to patch it all up.|
|Mudding. It's a sturdy woodstove.|
|This is how much we got done the first day - doesn't look like much, but it took a lot of prep work to get this far.|
|After renting a nailer for a two-day stretch on a long weekend, I realized that this would take a lot|
longer than I expected, and ended up purchasing a refurbished nailer which was about the cost of
3 days of rental. It has since paid for itself.
|Lauren using the boxes of hardwood as a stepping stool for looking out the window.|
|Our newest flooring installer|
|Getting it lined up just right|
|Need a longer piece|
|Things begin to get interesting as I reach the stone work around the woodstove area|
|Looking good, Dad!|
|Lauren hanging out with her Mow (pronounced Mau, meaning Meow)|
|Putting a couple last coats of paint on the baseboard|
|Baseboard installed and room cleaned out. Only 10 months after we bought the house... :P|
All in all, we're really happy to have it finally done, and glad that we will at last be able to unpack our books and set up our living room in a more usable manner. Many thanks to all the helpers - Josh, Ali, and Lauren :)